Details + Objectives
What You'll Learn
How the Course is Taught
How You Will Benefit
- Who lives in the United States
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Idioms related to American Culture
- Culture Shock
- American Accent
Finding the stores to meet your needs
Idioms related to food
Organization of grocery stores
Are you hungry?
Measurements and time to cook
Idioms related to cooking
Who eats out in the United States
Idioms related to eating out
- Finding a place to live
- Taking care of your home
- Finding work
- Going to school
- Staying safe
- Running errands / the post office
- The weather
- Finding places of interest to visit
- Travel , where will go?
- Preparing for a trip.
- Meeting new people
- Birthday parties
- What to look for in a partner
Idioms about Television, Movies, and Shows
Keeping up with the News
Believing what you read?
Idioms related to news
- How and why do people use Social Media?
- Idioms related to Social Media
Idioms from this chapter
American English & Culture
Instructors & Support
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Applications must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Instructor-Led: A new session of each course begins each month. Please refer to the session start dates for scheduling.
Self-Paced: You can start this course at any time your schedule permits.
Instructor-Led: Once a session starts, two lessons will be released each week, for the 6 week duration of your course. You will have access to all previously released lessons until the course ends.
Self-Paced: You have three-month access to the course. After enrolling, you can learn and complete the course at your own pace, within the allotted access period.
Instructor-Led: The interactive discussion area for each lesson automatically closes 2 weeks after each lesson is released, so you’re encouraged to complete each lesson within two weeks of its release.
Self-Paced: There is no time limit to complete each lesson, other than completing all lessons before your three-month access.