Scientists, researchers and linguists all pooled their expertise to help make uTalk. Here’s why it works:
- Linking a word to an image creates a stronger memory than using words alone – so each word or phrase you hear on uTalk is represented by a picture. It’s called dual-coding because it uses both sides of the brain: the left which controls language and the right which handles visual information.
- Voice recognition technology is good but it’s still not as good as the human ear. That’s why users are asked to judge for themselves how their pronunciation compares with a native speaker’s as part of two uTalk games.
- Repeating new information boosts your memory so words you want to learn pop up in different games and words you struggle with are identified by intelligent software and crop up more often.
uTalk’s Practice section introduces new words into your short-term memory while its other five games, which get progressively more challenging, are aimed at getting them into your long-term memory. The games are designed to be short but hard enough that you are unlikely to get full marks first time – giving you time to stop, refresh and come back to a topic later on. That’s because spaced repetition does more for your memory than cramming.
uTalk makes learning fun and that releases a feel-good chemical called dopamine into our bloodstream which boosts motivation and aids recall. So keep up the good work – play the games, score points and enjoy!
Features and Benefits
- Start speaking in minutes: uTalk gets you talking right from the start. Record yourself and perfect your accent.
- Talk like a local: Our male and female voices are real native speakers. Many competitors use artificial voices.
- Game-based learning: Quickly pick up useful phrases – our challenging games make them stick.
- Crammed with content: More than 2,500 everyday words and phrases across 60+ topics. Dip into words you need, work at your own pace.
- Works everywhere: At home, commuting, or even on a plane, uTalk works online and offline once fully downloaded, with apps for your phone, tablet and computer.
- Perfectly in sync: Because everything saves to your uTalk account you can pick up where you left off even on another device.